How many times have you loaded up an online shopping cart only to change your mind and walk away?
If you answered “many times” to this question, you aren’t alone. According to Statista, the rate consumers abandoned shopping carts on Black Friday 2015 was 72.81%. That’s up from 65.53% in 2011.
The “every day” abandonment rate is 68.55%. That means nearly 7 out of 10 shoppers fill their virtual shopping carts and click away. This rate, like the Black Friday rate, is up over previous years.
Before we get into the tips to prevent eCommerce shopping cart abandonment, let’s first answer the question, “Why do so many shopping carts get abandoned?”
The answer is multiple reasons. A Business Insider study, lists the top reasons for shopping cart abandonment as:
- 58% said shipping costs were more than expected.
- 57% said they weren’t ready to purchase, and they just wanted to compare prices and shipping costs to other website.
- 55% said they just wanted to save the cart for later.
- 50% said their order wasn’t large enough to qualify for free shipping.
- 28% said the shipping time was too long.
- 28% said they didn’t want to create an account to purchase.
- 25% didn’t purchase because their preferred payment options weren’t available.
So, to sum up – the top three reasons shoppers abandon shopping carts are high shipping costs, price comparing, or not ready to purchase.
Now that we know why carts are abandoned, let’s talk about tips to prevent eCommerce shopping cart abandonment.