But, wait, I’m not a creative writer! Help!
If you’ve ever muttered these questions to yourself while pouring over your eCommerce product descriptions, than this article is for you. If you’re struggling to write copy that converts, this post is also for you.
Let’s discuss 10 copywriting tips and techniques for eCommerce product pages.
Your job is to create a vivid picture in the shopper’s mind. Your picture must be tantalizing and clear, so much so that the shopper imagines holding the product and using it.
Take a step into the multi-faceted world of creating writing. You are equal parts prose writer (vivid descriptions) and journalist (just the facts, please). A combination of the two creates winning product pages that convert.
Tip #1: Go Back to the Five Ws
You remember these, right? Many of us were taught way back in grade school to use the five Ws when writing or describing something. It’s also a trick of the astute eCommerce writer. Let’s use these five Ws to craft persuasive product descriptions.
- WHO is the product for? Is your target audience male or female, young, middle age or retirees? Are they a defined group of people such as fitness fanatics or new moms?
- WHAT are the pertinent details? This is where material, size, feature and function comes in. The HOW can also land here. This is where you’d list how a product works (this doesn’t apply to all product descriptions).
- WHERE will your customer use the product? Is it decorative or utilitarian? For indoor or outdoor use?
- WHEN would your customer use the product? Is it seasonal? Does it have a long shelf life or an expiration date? What’s the occasion?
- WHY should your customer purchase the product? Is it better than the competition? Is it useful? Will it improve quality of life?